Last month we started chatting about making your home enticing to buyers; about renovations and market-smart makeovers. This month we are covering how small changes can make a big difference in selling your home. Blog 2 of 3.
SMALL UPGRADES AND REPAIRS CAN MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE
There are few things that put buyers off more than viewing a home that appears to be neglected. If you want to maximize your chances of getting top dollar, consider doing some minor upgrades and make all necessary repairs…even those that are “out of sight, out of mind”.
Leaving aside major structural and functional matters, here are a few relatively minor upgrades and repairs that can go a long way to improve how buyers perceive your home.
- Fix or replace anything damaged or worn, such as patio and deck, gutters and eaves, windows, shutters, screens, storm doors, light fixtures porches and steps, walkways and fences
- Touch up all exterior paint or, if need be, re-paint the house
- Fix doorbells, tighten loose doorknobs, and all squeaky hinges
- Clean and or paint the front door, polish the front door hardware, and even replace the “Welcome” mat, if necessary
- Green-up dry lawn patches, plant extra flowers for color, and place potted plants beside the front door
- Fix or replace cracked molding or floor tiles, loose door knobs, squeaky door hinges, closets or screen doors that are off their tracks, bathroom lighting and hardware, toilet seats, loose caulking or grout
- Fix and touch-up walls, ceilings, windows and doors
- Brighten interiors with a new coat of paint in light, neutral colors
- Shampoo carpets and rugs; replace, if necessary
- Make sure major appliances are in good working order
- Replace switch and outlet plates and heat/cooling vents with new ones if they are discolored or cracked
- Add closet organizers or shelving for basement and garage
- Clean and paint basement concrete floors and walls
- Clean water heater and drain sediment; change furnace filter
This is a short list of simple tasks that can make a big difference.
Next month – ORGANIZATION AND MAINTENANCE, THE OBVIOUS STUFF
Houlihan & O’Malley Real Estate Services